The town of Bystřice pod Hostýnem is located about 25 kilometres northeast of Kroměříž at the foot of the Hostýnské vrchy. In 1861, German industrialists Michael Thonet and his son August established the largest factory for bentwood furniture in Europe here. Important buildings include the Church of St. Giles in Masarykovo náměstí square and the Bystřice pod Hostýnem Chateau, which nowadays houses the town museum with a collection of ceramics. One of the most famous historical residents of the chateau was General Laudon. Bystřice pod Hostýnem is the starting point for various hikes and trips, especially to Svatý Hostýn hill.