The first astronomical facilities arose in Kroměříž in 1947 thanks to the amateur astronomer Čeněk Šiler. Šiler continued the tradition of popularization of sciences started in the 19th and 20th century by František Nábělek (astronomer, physicist, and a gymnasium secondary school teacher). Construction of today’s observatory started in 1968 thanks to another enthusiast, Josef Hudec. To this day, some equipment from the original Šiler’s observatory is still used. Today, the observatory serves to study meteor showers, and it is possible to observe the Sun’s photosphere and other Solar System bodies.